When sweatpants become your fancy dress…
April 6, 2011 § 9 Comments
Here we are again. My dedication to food has wreaked havoc on my waistline.
Before I moved to America I was shocked by how many women told me that their time abroad resulted in pounds and pounds of weight gain. If you are unsure about the conversions, one pound is 2.2kg (The Duck’s method for roasting lamb: 15 minutes per pound, 15 minutes for the oven, 15+ minutes to rest) So pounds and pounds is a LOT of weight! I wondered how they had allowed the scales to tip so rapidly. Now I know. Here are some of the warnings that were given to me:
- “The portion sizes are huge”,
- “Everything is packed with sugar and cheese”,
- “The country rules Drive-Thru: food, banks, pharmacies. You will stop walking”
And now my own observations:
- When you stop working/studying full time you sit at home and eat more;
- When you don’t know many people, you sit at home and eat more;
- When you move into the middle of winter, you sit at home and eat more;
- Moving away from Eastern Suburbs yummy mummies greatly relieves the pressure of daily workouts;
- When you move to the South I have two words: Paula Deen…
So maybe keep an eye out for a few health-kick recipes coming from amidst the strawberry vines. Or maybe I’ll just say to hell with it and chocolate coat those berries instead. Tell me, what would you do??
During the writing of this post the author gorged on cheese and crackers, peanut butter & celery, nuts, seeds, milk and chocolate. Simultaneously.