Beet-ing the country into shape.
August 6, 2011 §
The times in life when I wished I had a camera:
- Watching a man on a stand-up paddle board be surrounded by dolphins at Bondi Beach, from the cliffs above.
- Many nights of laughter with friends, just to capture the moment.
- Seeing the sunset over Charlotte’s skyline from the middle of a traffic jam
And something I never thought I would see, a squirrel sitting in the middle of the road eating Bojangles!
I kid you not, a ballsy little squirrel was sitting in the street with both paws around a biscuit and a packet of Bojangles seasoned-fries. I had to give him a little toot in my car because he would would NOT move! Finally he upped and carried his lunch to the sidewalk, where he sat back down and resumed his munching.
What does this mean?
- I should never leave my house without a phone or camera.
- Michael Moore will release Fast Food Animal Nation in the fall of 2011.
- The next Man vs Wild will see Bear Grylls holding his own in a chain restaurant.
Following this experience it seemed only natural to watch Supersize Me & Food Inc. I was hoping to learn whether rodents prefer drive through or counter service.
Instead I was bombarded with a distressing reality check. Kids as young as 4 and 5 are being diagnosed with diabetes. Chickens are being pumped so hard with steroids that their little legs can’t support their overgrown bodies. And poor Alexandra Jameison
(vegan chef) had to sleep with a man who consumed nothing but McDonalds for 30 days…shudder
If everyone ate more vegetables the kids would be fit and carefree, Sunday lunch wouldn’t be the result of a science experiment, and Alexandra Jameison would have better sex.
There is this great raw food restaurant in Charlotte called Luna’s Living Kitchen. It is second-to-none. They have this one dish called Lunasagne, which is layers of raw zucchini ‘pasta’ with sundried tomatoes, cashew nut cheese and crimini mushrooms.
I have had some beautiful zucchini from our vegetable garden recently so I thought I would turn my hand to a similar dish, using a filling of nuts and sundried tomatoes and topping it with a cashew-beetroot ‘cheese’.
Now if I could just get some to that squirrel ….
Raw ‘meaty lasagne’
- Slice 2 zucchini lengthways using a mandolin
- Use the grating attachment in a food processor to grate 2 carrots. Set aside. 1 beetroot.
- In a blender, mix a handful of walnuts, 2 tbl sundried tomatoes, the carrot and 1 tbl coconut oil until chunky. Set aside
- Next process 1/2 cup cashews and enough water to make a smooth consistency. Add the grated beetroot.
- In a glass square dish make a single layer of zucchini ‘pasta’. Add 1/2 nut topping and another layer off zucchini. Add remaining nut topping, final layer of zucchini and top with beetroot cheese and a sprinkle of chia seeds.